Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day Three--A cornfield in Indiana

Not much new and exciting to report, but I thought I would at least check in briefly to let you know that we are alive and well and enjoying our visit with the Trudeaus and Aunt Barbara. We all went in to Marion this morning and spent some time with Aunt Barb, she was thrilled to see the kids and, like me, they very happy and surprised to see the change in her. She loved Anthony's curls and joked with the kids and, typical of her, gave them what little money she had squirrelled away to "pick out something for Christmas." See, I come from a long tradition of it never being too early to start thinking about Christmas! Then I brought the kids back to Upland and Skip, Jen and I went and got some Chinese food for lunch. In the afternoon I went back to Marion and did Aunt Barbara's shopping at Wal-Mart ("Don't forget the cheese curls!") and the kids went canoeing and played Dutch Blitz and Risk with the Trudeaus. I know I shouldn't be feeding Aunt Barbara's junk food habit, but I figure when you are in a Nursing Home and have cancer anyway, what's the worst thing that could happen? Why not go out happy? I also printed out pictures of the kids and pets at Wal-Mart and looked at them with her and she had me plaster them all over her wall. We really had a nice time together. Then at the end of the day, I went to McDonalds and got her a burger and fries - her favorite, and then met the kids and the Trudeaus at Fazoli's (JD's favorite) and now we are back here. Skip and Jen and I just went for a walk all around Taylor and came back to find the kids in the middle of a big poker tournament with JonDavid sitting behind a giant pile of pennies and looking thoroughly pleased with himself! Tomorrow we will go and see Aunt Barbara again in the morning and then blast off for our next stop: Chicago.

3 comments:

  1. You make me cry and smile over aunt Barbara, you better buy her all the junk food she wants. Thank you for spending so much time with her, this way I know that you will take care of me in the nursing home ( you being so much younger and all ).
    NO visit to IVANHOES, who are you, where are you and what have you done with Tim. If I have now made you crave a orange chocolate shake with mini chocolate chips have one for me.
    So glad you are going to Chicago to show the kids all the blight and also glad that you have a GPS so that you don't have to ask for directions.
    Hugs and keep having fun and know that I am with you in spirit, especially now that I know you have a stash of food in the car.
    Drive carefully, Christie should be showing up soon to keep you awake.
    Love you all Big B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--you really are just so sweet and good with Aunt Barbara. Shooting fireworks off the deck, warm chocolate chip cookies at midnight, canoeing, card games, a walk around Taylor on a beautiful summer evening: no wonder you like to viist the Trudeaus--sounds like the kind of novel I like to read or movie I like to watch. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, I didn't even realize that anyone had commented - I just noticed that option tonight. Thanks Bertha and Min! I know, isn't that a pity that we never made it to Ivanhoes? There just wasn't enough time and room in our stomachs! Bertha, I've been wanting to call you and tell you this, but RIGHT after I got a text from you in Iowa the other day, a red corvette with a blonde in it did a U-turn in the median strip and started following us!!! I was SURE it was you in a wig! Too funny. Min -I LOVE the idea of us doing another trip out west some day when we are retired! I'm going to hold you to it!!

    ReplyDelete