Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day Six: Capitalism at its finest + Cinnabons!

Ahhh, a day without driving! Probably most of you who are reading this know the Foleys, my second family, but all of them are the most gracious hosts and we've had such a great time together. We let the teenagers sleep in a bit this morning and I did the treadmill while Dan and JonDavid played Tiger Woods video golf together. We left for the Mall of America at about 11:00. The kids were duly blown away when we walked in. We were trying to formulate a plan of action and I said "So what do you guys want to do?" To which Samantha answered "Um...Cancel the rest of the trip and stay here?" Another funny incident was that Dan, Denise and I were all teasing Anthony this morning because the last time we were here--when Anthony was one year old and the Mall had just opened--we all ate lunch at the Rain Forest Cafe and little Anthony was terrified of the thunderstorms and all the noise and animatronic displays. Dan remembers Anthony trying to crawl into my shirt to hide! We were giving him a hard time about that, so when we got there and were approaching the Rain Forest Cafe Anthony exclaimed in a mock frightened voice "I'm starting to get scared already!!"

We walked around one floor of the mall to soak it all in, then rode some roller coasters in the Amusement Park in the center, then had lunch (at the Rainforest Cafe and Anthony was very brave and didn't cry once.) After lunch we went up to the fourth floor to watch Harry Potter, which was very good but very dark and sad. (JonDavid had crawled up onto my lap by the scary ending! ) We wandered around and enjoyed all of thes sights and smells and excitement. JonDavid went on a few more rides that made Dan and me DIZZY. By the time we stumbled off of the spinning roller coaster we were walking as though we were snockered! Tonight we came home and had pizza for a late dinner and Denise had made an old family chocolate cake recipe. Let's just say that at the rate I am eating on this trip I am going to have to stop soon and have new struts put on the van.

I've been calling this trip (and blog) "Westward Ho" but I'm thinking I need to rename it "I wish we had planned 2-3 more days here" as that is how we continue to feel at every stop! (Another possible name courtesy of Anthony and Samantha is "Texting Across America") Dan and Denise and Derek have been such great hosts and we've had such a lovely visit together. This trip (and Nina, Skip, Jen, Dave, Les, Dan, Denise...and I'm sure the others yet to come) continually remind me of what a treasure these friendships are across the miles and the times of my life. Even though I'm fifty and unemployed, this trip is reminding me that I am a very rich man. (Or as Dumbledore said in the movie today: "Being me has its advantages.") Thanks to all of you whether you are hosting us or taking the time to follow along on this blog for the gift of your friendship...

And now...on to Mt. Rushmore!

2 comments: