Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day Seven: Minneapolis, MN -- Oacoma, SD

Best part of the trip: Hellos; Worst part of the trip: Goodbyes! We bid a fond farewell to the Foleys this morning and headed out for the Dakotas! We went a little out of the way to add North Dakota to our state list - it is a fairly obscure state to get to, and I figured it was now or never. Fortunately it was a beautiful driving day and it the big blue sky over both North and South Dakota was really striking. North Dakota is the only state thus far that did not have a welcome sign for us to take a photo, but fortunately we found a big Wapehton, North Dakota sign that worked. We had subs for lunch and then drove on into South Dakota. One interesting thing about the day is that for only the second time in my life I've driven across the fold in the map of the U.S. in the atlas! (The first time was driving from Arkansas to Dove Creek, CO with Skip in 1985) Another change which made the drive more interesting today--at Denise Foley's suggestion--was changing the GPS lady so that she has a British accent. It made the whole day seem so much more classy - particularly for all of the "recalculatings" It always sounded like Professor McGonagall reprimanding us! JonDavid looked in vain for a Jamaican option "Turn around Mon!" but that wasn't one of the choices.

Even though it was another long driving day, I found the new terrain and scenery so interesting that I really enjoyed it. As you drive along Rte. 90 in South Dakota, you see millions of signs for "Al's Oasis." At Ann's (Snowberger) suggestion we stayed here tonight and it really is a great "local color" kind of place. Plus it has a wonderful jacuzzi which is always so nice after a day of driving. We went over and had salad bar at the Oasis restaurant, the highlight for me being "Al's warm homemade apple pie and cinnamon ice cream." That alone is practically worth the 1800 mile drive out here! After dinner we talked about the first week and I asked the kids what their favorite part was thus far. Anthony picked the teenage crowd driving home from Giordano's without the grown-ups and singing along with Tyler's stereo; Samantha picked seeing an actual Mall Cop on a Segway at the Mall of America; JonDavid picked EVERYTHING about the Mall of America. Tim is far more indecisive! Finding Aunt Barbara in so much better spirits was certainly a treat. I think I have to cheat and pick one thing at each stop: 1) Going for a walk with Nina and JD and getting caught up on her life; 2) Sitting around the Trudeau table and laughing over old memories and stories; 3) Chicago pizza with the LeVans and looking for JBU friends on facebook; 4) Relaxing at the Foley's after a long mall day, watching the Rob Bell video, and eating Denise's purple cake.

We keep wishing we had been able to do this trip during the year that Sabrina was with us. We are hatching up a plan to try to get back out to the Mall of America whenever she is able to visit us again. She will think she is in heaven!

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will finally see Mt. Rushmore! I've wanted to see it in person for as long as I can remember.... I still can't believe I'm actually writing this in South Dakota - what a surreal experience.

4 comments:

  1. The "Duh" factor is high with me as I didn't even realize that some of you were making comments! I just noticed that option tonight and went back and read them (and replied!) Thanks so much to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim, I'm just now catching up and loving your posts. Your "highway robbery" comments in Chicago made me laugh as well as your reactions to having the British lady speak on your GPS. How long is this trip? I'm just hoping you don't get tired of journaling about it. I'm keeping track of how many times you have pizza and chocolate chip cookies. I'd hate to miss a day. :-) Drive safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, remember how I mentioned that we have another set of friends also traveling west this summer? It turns out, according to my Facebook tracking of both families, that you are BOTH at Mt. Rushmore on the same day.

    Of course I am certain that you found each other and became close friends. . . .

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa!! How nice to hear from you! Thanks for your interest in our trip. It is funny because even after all these years, I can imagine how much fun it would have been to be talking about and planning this trip with you if we were both still working in the Student Life Office! Our trip is going to be 25 days long (although I'm wishing it were twice that long!) Add on another round of pizza for today! Martha...That is WILD! I wish I'd read this earlier, I would have tried to find them! Where are they from? We did meet a family from Buffalo in the Badlands!

    ReplyDelete