Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day 21: Williams, AZ--The Four Corners--Albuquerque, NM

Presumably this won't be too long tonight as 1) it was mostly a driving day and 2) JD is waiting for me to join him in the Ramada pool since no one else is up for a swim tonight! I'm sweating poolside because of my facebook addiction and working on my "blob" as my mother calls it. Charming! Two other quick comments on our Rte. 66 stayover. I forgot to mention to charming aspects. One is that the old Grand Canyon RR stops there and it really made me want to go for a train trip. The other is that while JD and I were doing the town there was a "Ghost Tour" showcasing all of the places in town that are rumored to be haunted! Today at the Four Corners we saw a spectacularly restored Corvette, I think it was an original '53 and it made me wish I could steal it and up Rte. 66!

So anyway, today....I got up before everyone else and went down and enjoyed the hot tub all to myself. After breakfast we hit the road for the Four Corners. The drive up there was surprisingly beautiful and remote! We saw Monument Valley and lots of interesting sights. It is the sort of road that you want to have a full tank of gas for as when you ask the GPS for fuel it says things like "69.8 miles BACK." But happily we made it there and then back to Shiprock, NM to gas up. Shiprock is named for this mysterious looking rock that looks like something out of movie set, a cross between a ship and a castle, that juts up all by itself on the New Mexico landscape. The whole drive today was another stunning example of the natural beauty of this country. Wow.... Oh, and by the way, the Four Corners was fun - Jan will be happy to know that as she has always suspected, my butt can be in four states at once (only today I had a good excuse) The Four Corners is actually in Navajo territory, and you have to pay $3 each to get in. It must be time to go home because we had to raid all of the compartments in the van and the kids suitcases to come up with $15 in cash! But we felt it was the least we could do to help the Navajo Nation!

We stopped at subway for dinner--very unimaginative, I know!--and then got into Albuquerque at about 9:00. This always makes me think of two things 1) I never know for sure how to spell it and 2) the home of Ethel Mae Potter (An I Love Lucy reference that my sister will get!) For JonDavid it has more modern connotations, he was watching eagerly out the windows for glimpses of the cast of High School Musical!

Oh wow, I just took a break to play in the pool with the boys and then got in the jacuzzi and this hotel wins the best jacuzzi on the trip award. It has really strong jets! So I think I will log off and go over and pickle myself in it until closing time. Tomorrow - on to that little piece of heaven on earth: Arkansas!

No comments:

Post a Comment