Friday, November 7, 2014

"I guess the world is not a wish-granting factory"

In a wonderful example of cosmic irony, I made my annual pilgrimage to my dermatologist on Monday, Oct. 13th where, upon the 20th anniversary of my melanoma, he declared the book closed on that cancer case.  On Thursday, Oct. 23rd, my urologist told me I had prostate cancer.  Thanks universe, it was a swell ten days.

I first learned that my PSA level was a little elevated this past summer.  "It is probably nothing," my doctor said, "but let's have you see a urologist." "It may be nothing," the urologist said, "but let's have you do another blood test to see."  "I wish I had better news," my urologist said when he called with the results of the second blood test.  And so it was that I found myself lying on an examining table in Rochester undergoing a biopsy a couple of weeks later, quite literally the biggest pain in the ass I have experienced yet.  After those results came back with more bad news, I headed back to Rochester last week for two more tests to determine whether the cancer has spread to my bones or my lymph nodes.  When you first hear that you have prostate problems, I think every man first worries about whether he will end up wearing Depends or worse, with a loss of function below the equator, so to speak.  It is amazing how words like "bone scan" and "lymph nodes" change the equation of what we have to worry about.  The doctor says I have a "medium grade" cancer which means that there is a medium level of concern that it has or will spread and so it must be treated.

So now it is Sunday evening and I should be doing my prep work for school this week, but with this dark cloud hanging over my head, somehow I am having trouble focusing on lesson plans, The Odyssey, Frankenstein, and Edgar Allan Poe--although Poe does rather suit my mood right now.  The weekend had stretched out long and stress-filled for me on Friday evening.  Late that night I was exercising and watching a "Modern Family" rerun to take my mind off my prostate.  When I finished I walked out into the kitchen to see JonDavid bounding into the house excitedly (he had been at a Halloween party) but as the figure drew closer I realized it was not JonDavid but his long-lost sister, my favorite member of the William & Mary tribe.  We had dropped Samantha off in Virginia back in August and did not expect to see her in Fillmore again until Christmas vacation.  But when she heard about my health woes, she started scheming to come home and asked her roommate to drive her to Washington DC where she hitched a ride home with our dear friend, Mark LaCelle-Peterson.  So what had been shaping up to be such a bleak weekend, suddenly turned into the nicest one of the semester!  Samantha has been such a ray of sunshine in my life ever since she first appeared in 1996 and I desperately needed that sunshine this weekend.

A couple of early observations as I begin this unwanted journey. The first is "I get by with a little help from my friends.  One of the first people I told was my dear Academy buddy, Janyce Smithley. I couldn't have a better support system at work than Janyce.  She cries with me when I need to cry, tells me jokes and funny stories when I need to laugh, and comes around offering chocolate and cookies in between.  "Anytime you feel like you can't handle one of your classes, come and get me, I'll take over for you!" she offered.  If any of you ever have to go through something like this, I hope you have a Janyce in your life!

Also on Friday evening, I had such a special visit from two of my favorite people, Bev Rhett and her son Thomas.  Bev is on her own cancer journey and has only recently returned from several months of treatments down in Virginia.  As soon as she heard about my prostate problems, she and Thomas put together a basket full of cancer-fighting food and snacks, a copy of her favorite book "Anti Cancer: A New Way Of Life" and an orchid plant, loaded up their precious puppy Lincoln, and came over and paid me a much-needed visit.  Bev, who is further along with her treatment, came to offer advice, love, wisdom and support as I begin mine. While Lincoln and Tillie romped around the house together, Thomas and Bev cheered me up with their loving friendship and support.

Be it resolved already that if I make it through this, I want to be a Janyce and a Bev to anyone who is struggling with cancer.  Ugh, that revolting word.

I am reading what I can on prostate cancer and treatment options and most of what I read just makes me want to cry.  But I know that I am going to have a lot of decisions to make in the days and weeks ahead.  This is one of those times in life when I desperately wish that I could change the channel, but sadly, that is not an option.  If the cancer has not spread beyond my prostate, then I am facing a less deadly battle that will hopefully be more annoying than anything else.  If it has spread...then God only knows what lies ahead.

5 comments:

  1. I'm praying, Tim. And I'm sure you're hearing all those trite words that everybody hears when they share their story. Though I believe almost all of them, I'm not going to say them. But I'm silently thinking them as I pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you told us so we can support you on your journey. So glad it has not spread. But so sorry you and your beautiful family have to go through this horrible experience. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this point I will simply say that you are in my thoughts and deepest prayers. My sister is undergoing treatment for stage 2 breast cancer, which has spread to her lymph nodes. So you will join her in my cancer-centric prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please know that nothing but the best of wishes, positive thoughts, and hopeful prayers are being sent your way from an old friend located down South. Hang in there Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got back on Facebook and found out how your results turned out. So glad you are letting all your friends come alongside so it's our journey too. What wonderful friends you have developed. What cool unique ways they are already loving you. Glad Carrie and I can join them.

    ReplyDelete