Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Not the typo experience I care to have again...

Yesterday found me back at Roswell for my pre-op procedures (instructions, blood test, meeting with the anesthesiologist, etc.) I also was having yet one more look at that worrisome spot on my rib that turned up on my original bone scan.  The doctors have continued to say "it is probably nothing....but let's have one more test." It has unnerved me since it never seems to quite be eliminated as a problem. I was injured there on a malfunctioning ride at Six Flags many, many years ago and they are guessing that is what is showing up.  So yesterday Roswell had ordered one more CT scan and looked at both my chest and abdomen again, still trying to assess whether the prostate cancer has spread.  (If indeed it is in my ribs, then it is probably elsewhere.) I had the CT scan in the morning, and then met with the Urology Dept. in the afternoon.  The doctor came in and said that the scan had turned up a lesion on my lung that looked as if it could be cancer.  He said it was actually unrelated to the rib question which had come back clear (finally.) He said he would go and meet with the radiologist because they may want to delay my surgery and biopsy this spot on my lung.  He told me it was only about a centimeter and possibly too small to biopsy so then he wasn't sure what they would decide to do.  So once again, I found myself, sitting in a doctor's office starting to mentally plan my funeral.  After what seemed like an eternity, he came back in and apologized saying the report had a typo, it was supposed to say "Lesion not indicative of cancer" but the NOT had been omitted.  What a difference one tiny word can make.  It was an unpleasant experience, and yet one more reminder of how much worse this all could be.

So now I am back on track for next week: I'll have the surgery on Monday and if all goes well, come home on Tuesday.  I probably won't blog again until I am on the other side of this.  So thanks in advance for your prayers.  Happy New Year and love to all...


7 comments:

  1. Will be praying for you, Tim. God is with you (but you already know that). Love you much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise Him for the "Nots" in our life! I'll be praying that your surgery will "Not" be extensive and there will "Not" be any other cancer spots detected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well good grief! Who the heck makes a typo like that!?!?! Heads should roll. That's why I always encourage people to get a second opinion cuz you never know when someone could have made a mistake - good or bad.

    I'm glad they discovered the error in the one session. Continued prayers as you start your journey back to health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Tim,
    I have been with two very dear friends navigating their way through surgeries/chemo for long periods of time, and in and out of surgery/chemo centers. They can be scary places:( I totally feel your worry, fear and disbelief that this is all happening. And the moment that horrible news comes, then to learn there was a mistake! SUCH relief floods your being that you forget to be mad the typo was made...
    I am so thankful things turned out for the positive yesterday. You are in my heart and thoughts these days. Love you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm praying for you brother. - Rob Davis

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for the "not" word! He continues to keep us trusting Him, word-by-word. Prayers and love to you, dear Tim, as He holds you tight. We'll be waiting for your good news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for peace and trust that in God, "all will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of thing will be well" (Julian of Norwich).

    ReplyDelete